Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ki`owao

Ki`owao
11 X 14
 I love stormy skies and seas.  Last week we were blessed with a nice storm and I was able to paint from the reference photos I took that day.



How would you like to sit on that bench and watch the surfer's for a while?
    When I first started selling my art work, my husband and I agreed that I would not try to reproduce my paintings, but would just sell the original paintings.  Since those didn't take off  very quickly, I decided to paint small so that tourists could carry them home on a plane or shipping would be easier when sold on line.  After an uneventful day under the Banyan Tree this week, I began to wonder if I should change my work to more marketable subject matter, i.e. palm trees, pineapples, huge sunny flowers.  I have an acquaintance who always tells me to change to oils, as that is what most people want.  I have a friend who tells me I am a true artist, no matter what the sales numbers are.  Ahh, balm for my soul to know someone recognizes my passion.  Van Gogh sold one painting in his whole lifetime.  After thinking on this yesterday I got the biggest laugh at myself. when I read Ecclesiastes chapter 11:4 He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.  These happen to be my very favorite subjects! Now I know being an artist isn't what this is talking about but I do need to remember not to think of myself to highly and to remember to serve others and tell them of Jesus redeeming love.  Aloha Ral 






No comments:

Post a Comment